Wuxing is explained as five different types of qi (energy):
- Wood - qi that is growing upward, can control earth or destroy earth.
- Fire - qi that is expanding, radiant, can give shape or destroy metal.
- Earth - qi that is stablizing, can control water or destroy water.
- Metal - qi that is contracting, condensing, pointing forward, can control or destroy wood.
- Water - qi that is flowing or spreading, can control or destroy fire.
Each of these is also known as a "phase". The phases are in constant interaction with each other. These interactions are described as cycles. In the following, we will further examine the Generating (or production) Cycle, the Controlling Cycle and the Weakening Cycle. The Generating Cycle and associated phase interactions are currently shown. Use the selector to look at the Controlling and Weakening Cycle interactions.
|   Generating Cycle||Controlling Cycle||Weakening Cycle|
- Wood generates or produces Fire.
- Fire generates or produces Earth.
- Earth generates or produces Metal.
- Metal generates or produces Water.
- Water generates or produces Wood.